The Delaware State Police arrested 19-year-old Cedric Smith of Seaford, Delaware on gun charges following a pursuit that occurred earlier this morning in Seaford.
On June 15, 2023, at approximately 12:42 a.m., a trooper on patrol saw a grey Ford Crown Victoria turn right onto Old Furnace Road from eastbound Middleford Road without stopping at the posted stop sign. The trooper attempted to stop the Ford, but the driver began fleeing from the area at a high rate of speed. The Ford skidded into a traffic sign and came to a stop on Old Furnace Road at Cokesbury Road. The driver, identified as Cedric Smith, was taken into custody without further incident. Troopers searched the car and found a loaded handgun that was reported stolen by Troop 5 in February 2023.
Smith was taken to Troop 5 and charged with the following offenses:
- Possession of a Firearm During the Commission of a Felony (Felony)
- Possession of a Firearm by a Person Under 21 (Felony)
- Possession of Ammunition by a Person Under 21 (Felony)
- Receiving a Stolen Firearm (Felony)
- Disregarding a Police Officer Signal (Felony)
- Numerous traffic violations
Smith was arraigned by Justice of the Peace Court 3 and committed to Sussex Correctional Institution on $16,605 cash bond.